Garlic and onion seem like healthy foods but what exactly are the health benefits from onion and garlic? Dr. Nicholas Perricone in his New York Times’ best selling book, The Perricone Promise, says that garlic and onion are the world’s number two superfood, second only to the acai berry, the nature’s amazing fruit from the Amazon. Garlic and onion belong to the Allium family which also includes leeks, scallions, shallots and chives. Let’s examine the health benefits from onion and garlic below.
What are the health benefits of Garlic?
The health benefits of Garlic include:
- lowering total cholesterol while raising the HDL or good cholesterol
- lessening the risk of atherosclerosis (the hardening of arteries)
- lowering blood pressure
- reducing the risk of blood clots which cause the majority of strokes and heart attack.
- destroying infection causing viruses and bacteria
- reducing the risk of certain cancers particularly stomach cancer
- producing more natural killer cells in the blood to fight tumors and infections
- helping fight against neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s
- enhancing detoxification by reducing toxins.
What are the health benefits of onions?
Onions are also very healthy with the following health benefits:
- inhibiting the growth of cancerous cells
- increasing HDL cholesterol, especially raw onions while reducing total cholesterol levels
- increasing blood clot dissolving activity
- helping prevent colds
- stimulating the immune system
- lowering blood sugar levels in diabetes
- having anti bacterial and anti fungal properties
- reducing the risk of certain cancers
- helping relieve stomach upset and other gastrointestinal disorders